Friday, April 16, 2010

Lime Marinated Flank Steak


As I was flipping through my copy of Martha Stewart's Great Food Fast, I noticed that a lot of her recipes are chicken or pasta. That is usually right up my alley, but the husband gets tired of poultry long before I do, so when I flipped the page to this flank steak recipe I immediately showed it to the husband and asked if he wanted to try it. Since this was right around the time we'd been eating nothing but chicken for several days, and I rarely buy red meat, he jumped at the chance to add this to the week's menu.

I am really glad we gave this one a try. The lime juice paired so well with the soy sauce and ginger, with none overwhelming the other. I wanted to make burritos out of the steak, but was hesitant at first since it was marinated in soy sauce--I went ahead with my plan and they turned out fabulously! We spread extremely ripe mashed avocado on tortillas, topped with the sliced steak, some sliced green onions, and a drizzle of crema-perfection. I ate the leftovers for lunch the next day and it was just as good as the night before.

I think this would make a great weeknight meal because you only have to marinate the meat for 30 minutes; heat the grill right after making the marinade and it will be ready to go as soon as the meat is!

Lime Marinated Flank Steak
Source: Great Food Fast
Printable Recipe

Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds flank steak
1/2 cup lime juice (about 4-5 limes)
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 Tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
salt and pepper
vegetable oil for grill grates

Directions
Combine all ingredients, except for the vegetable oil, in a large ziplock bag. Marinate for 30 minutes, turning occasionally.

Prepare a charcoal grill. Once the coals are hot, rub a paper towel with vegetable oil on the grates, using tongs.

Cook the steak on the grill (throw away the marinade), with the lid on, until your desired doneness (160 degrees for medium well, about 8-10 minutes).

Remove meat from the grill and let rest for 5-10 minutes to allow the meat to reabsorb the juices. Slice across the grain in thin slices.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was surprised how much I really liked this recipe. I mean I like steak but this recipe made me love steak! The only substitute that I made was that I used grass fed beef instead of the more common grain fed beef. I work with La Cense Beef which sells 100 percent grass fed beef. It is a great source of high quality meat. For Steak Recipes like this, grass fed beef makes it a healthier meal as it is lower in fat and calories and high in omega 3 acids and beta-carotene.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin