Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Cherry Pie


The husband and I went to my parents' house, along with my brother and his wife, for a Memorial Day BBQ and my mom asked me to bring a dessert. I figured what better way to kick off the summer than with a cherry pie?

Though the picture is pathetic, this was a really tasty pie. Make sure you use tart cherries; the sugar will make sweet cherries too sweet for this recipe.


Cherry Pie

Source: Shared by an online cooking acquaintance (from Musselman's canned cherries)

Printable Recipe

Ingredients

2 cans (14.5 ounces each) red tart pitted cherries
1 cup reserved cherry juice
1 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 Tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon almond extract

Directions
Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a 9" pie dish and gently press in a pie crust.

Drain the cherries, making sure to reserve 1 cup of the liquid.

Mix the sugar and cornstarch together in a heavy saucepan. Gradually stir in the reserved cherry liquid until the mixture is smooth. Cook over medium heat until the mixture bubbles.

Cook an additional minute until the mixture is thick.

Remove from heat and stir in butter, cherries, and almond extract.

Pour into prepared crust. Top with a lattice or vented crust (I cut out pie crust starts to top my filling).

Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 and bake 25-35 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. (Note: I placed my pie on a baking sheet to capture any boil over of the pie filling.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin