Thursday, July 16, 2009

Tzatziki Dip

I have been receiving several cucumbers in my CSA (community supported agriculture) baskets lately, including a really long, striped cucumber. I have no idea what this type of cucumber is called, but look at how big it is!


My husband doesn't like cucumbers, so I am limited in their use. But I do LOVE me some tzatziki dip after discovering it at Trader Joe's a few years ago, and I have been craving it lately, so what better to do with the gargantuan cucumber? Make some dip! This is great on pita chips, pita pockets, pretzel chips, or as a veggie platter dip. It's a SUPER easy and tasty treat, especially in the hot summer days.

I asked one of the girls on The Nest for her recipe and then modified it to my tastes. I've posted my recipe below, but check out The Rookie Chef for her recipe.

Tzatziki Dip

(also known as cucumber and yogurt dip)

17.25 ounces Greek Yogurt (about 2 1/4 cups)
1 cucumber
Juice of 1 lemon
6 cloves garlic, diced
salt and pepper to taste

Cut the cucumber up into thin slices (no need to peel the cuc first). The first time I made this I used my box grater to get super thin slices. You could also use a food processor. However, a knife works fine....don't worry about getting them super thin.

Squeeze out the liquid from the cucumber slices.

Combine all ingredients together in a small bowl and stir until totally mixed. Taste your dip and add more salt, pepper, lemon, garlic as preferred.

Refrigerate for at least an hour to meld all of the flavors together. Serve cold with pitas, veggies, pretzels, or whatever you like to dip!

2 comments:

Molly Jean said...

Mmmm I love this stuff!!!

Janet said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe with me. You are awesome!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin