Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Homemade Frozen Pizza

Whenever my parents go on vacation, I am the go-to person to house and dog sit. It's a win-win situation because they get someone to take care of the house for free, and they live about 10 miles from the school I work at, versus the 32 miles I normally have to commute. The only kink in the situation is the husband (as in my husband); he doesn't cook and will eat fast food for dinner every night if given the option.

Usually I just leave him to his own devices, but this time I decided to prepare some meals for him in advance. But then I got a bit lazy, so I decided to just make him a bunch of frozen pizzas. As I was making them, I figured this would be a great meal to make for new parents, or just to keep on hand in my freezer, rather than buying frozen pizzas from the store.

I made a total of 4 pizzas, two BBQ chicken and two carne asada, two large and two medium. I made the large pizzas so he'd have leftovers for lunch as well. A grapefruit sized hunk of dough will yield a large pizza.

Homemade Frozen Pizzas
Source: A Cooking in Cucamonga Original
Printable Recipe

Ingredients

Olive Oil Dough (I used half wheat and half white flour)
Your favorite toppings

Directions

Pre-heat the oven, with a pizza stone on the middle rack, to 525 degrees.

Line up for pieces of parchment paper on the counter and sprinkle each with cornmeal.

Rub you hands with olive oil and divide the dough into four chunks (you can divide it into smaller hunks if you want more personal sized pizzas). Using your hands, stretch the dough to your desired size and thickness. Re-oil your hands if the dough starts to stick to your skin.

Bake each crust for 4 minutes. (I baked mine one at a time, as that's all I could fit on my stone.)The dough will be slightly browned and puffy, but still soft.

Top with whatever toppings you like. Place the pizzas in the freezer, on cooling racks, for about 20-30 minutes. This will firm up the sauce and cheese before wrapping.

Wrap each pizza in two large pieces of foil, folding over the edges to seal it up. You can also put the pizzas in large freezer bags if desired.

Stack and freeze.


Directions for cooking the frozen pizzas

Pre-heat the oven to 475 degrees, with a pizza stone on the middle rack. (It's ok if you don't have one, the crust just won't get as crisp.)

Unwrap the pizza and cook directly on the stone, or the oven rack if you don't have a stone. Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted, golden and bubbly.

Enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin