Monday, June 1, 2009

Turkey Veggie Burgers



My husband and I love to eat homemade turkey burgers. Whenever there is a sale on ground turkey at the grocery store, I stock up and buy several packages to throw in the freezer. We buy the packaged Jennie-O brand of turkey, which is usually on sale for about $2.50-$3.50 (they are 1.25 pound packages). In an effort to be healthier, we stopped buying red meat about a year ago and now eat mainly turkey and chicken at home...eating out is a whole 'nother story. I love me some In-N-Out burger!!

Turkey can be pretty dry, so I usually up the moisture by mixing tons of fresh veggies and herbs into the mixture. (This is also a great way to up your veggie intake!!) I also will add about a tablespoon of plain yogurt into the meat as well; this keeps the meat really moist, but you can't taste the yogurt. Just make sure you use plain...unless you want a fruity tasting burger. :) We didn't have any yogurt on hand the last time I made these burgers though, so I didn't include it, but it is listed in the ingredients list.

Most of the veggies we put in our burgers come straight from our garden, lending these burgers a really fresh, healthy taste. :) You can mix up the veggies to incorporate whatever you have and like; we've used zucchini, mushrooms, garlic, white onions, and other produce before with great results.

Turkey Veggie Burgers


1.25 pounds ground turkey
grape tomatos, smashed (smash them into the meat so the juice is incorporated as well)
fresh oregano, diced
fresh basil, diced
green onions, diced
dried oregano
garlic salt
pepper
a few red pepper flakes
a dash of cayanne pepper
1 tablespoon PLAIN yogurt (optional)

Toppings:
Lettuce
Tomatos (I used a tomato picked fresh from our garden....SOOO good!!)
Low-fat cheddar cheese

Mix all burger ingredients together in a large bowl until well combined. Form into patties by hand (I like to make thick patties if I am using my Foreman grill since it smashes them).
Grill on your charcoal grill until cooked most of the way through (about 5-7 )min. and then flip over to finish. **Leave the lid ON throughout cooking to help cook the meat all the way through.
If using a Foreman, place on the grill, put the cover down, and cook for about 7-8 minutes.

Top with your desired toppings. I served these with steamed green beans from our weekly CSA basket.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin