Thursday, December 24, 2009

Guinness Ice Cream


Google Books is my new favorite internet resource. Just type in the name of a book and an online edition pops up. Now, I don't believe entire editions are available online, but in the case of cookbooks, that's ok. It's a great way to sample recipes from a new cookbook without having to buy it or hope that the local library has a copy in stock.

I've been hearing great things about David Lebovitz's ice cream book The Perfect Scoop. After seeing several bloggers rely on his recipes I looked his book up on Google Books, and found a plethora of recipes available to sample for free. There are way too many appetizing options to choose from in the 45 pages available online, but I quickly decided to try the Guinness Milk Chocolate ice cream. The husband loves Guinness draught beers, and enjoys a bottle or two during Sunday afternoon football, so this was an easy choice for me.

This is made in the French style with an egg custard base. Be sure to give yourself two days to make this ice cream. The custard base needs to be cooked in advance and then chilled for a minimum of 8 hours, but overnight works best, especially since this recipe contains alcohol. The finished product will be very soft and melty; the alcohol content prevents it from freezing hard.

I can't wait to try more of David Lebovitz's ice cream recipes and I will be buying this book in the near future!

The finished result is very chocolate-y, with a rich, full-bodied taste from the beer. Not as pronounced a beer flavor as I expected, but I think using the extra stout will change that.

Guinness Milk Chocolate Ice Cream
Source: The Perfect Scoop
Printable Recipe

Ingredients
7 ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
pinch of salt
4 large egg yolks
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup Guinness Stout (I used the draught, but you can also use the extra stout.)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
Place the chopped chocolate in a large bowl and set a mesh strainer over the top.

Warm the milk, sugar, and chocolate in a large saucepan on the stove top. In a separate medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks together. Once the milk is warmed through (do not let it come to a boil), slowly pour it into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. (I find it is best to dribble a small amount of the milk into the egg yolks and whisk to temper the eggs before adding the entire amount.)

Pour the egg and milk mixture back into the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened. Again, don't let it come to a boil.

Pour the custard into the strainer set over the chocolate. Stir the mixture until the chocolate is completely melted. Pour in the heavy cream and whisk until completely smooth. Pour in the Guinness and vanilla and stir to combine.

Stir until cool over and ice bath until completely cool. Cover the bowl and chill in the fridge overnight. Meanwhile, enjoy the rest of your beer!

The next day, freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to manufacture directions. I use a Kitchen Aid stand mixer fitter with an ice cream attachment. It is important to turn the machine on before pouring the cream into the bowl, otherwise the mixture may freeze to the sides, preventing the dasher from churning.

3 comments:

Ann In Fallbrook, CA said...

Hmmm. I can't really post a reaction because in general,I don't like beer. However, I sure i could change my mind if only I could taste it - I *love* ice cream! Wanna share?

Janet said...

Oh, I need to add the pic too. It is very chocolatey. I will bring some on Christmas to share. I might also make some Kahlua ice cream today. We'll see if Omar will let me use his Kahlua for that!

Ann In Fallbrook, CA said...

This is really good - you can barely taste the beer. It adds only a subtle undernote that enhances the overall flavor. Good Job!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin