Monday, December 7, 2009

Turkey Stock

Even though Thanksgiving was over a week and a half ago, up until yesterday, I still had the leftover turkey sitting in my fridge, waiting to either be eaten or thrown away. I finally pulled that sucker out, cut off any remaining meat, and then broke up the bones to make stock.

I love soup, but I have noticed that the canned stuff never tastes good enough. The carrots are mushy, the broth is missing flavor, there's not enough meat. I could go on. So after a quick Google search I found several recipes for homemade turkey broth.

Pull out your largest stock pot, break up those bones, and plan to spend a chilly afternoon at home. Next time you want soup, or need to use some broth, you'll be glad you did.

Turkey Stock
Source: various internet recipes

Ingredients
Turkey bones
2-3 carrots, roughly chopped
2 ribs celery, roughly chopped
1 large onion, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon dried sage
several springs of whatever fresh herbs you have (I think I used tyme)
2 tablespoons pepper
1-2 teaspoons salt

Directions
Place all ingredients in a large pot (at least 8 quarts, but the bigger the better). Fill the pot with water, covering the solids as much as possible.
Simmer for 4 hours, replacing any water as needed. (I simmered mine with the lid off to keep if from reaching a boil.)
Strain out the solids and chill the remaining broth. Freeze any broth you are not going to use immediately.

Now you have the base for homemade soup. Super easy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin