Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Steak Topped with Caramelized Mushrooms, Shallots, and Garlic, Served with Baked Potatos


The husband loves steak, but I rarely buy it. I must have been feeling generous the last time I went grocery shopping; I picked up two organic, free-range, grass fed steaks. Yeah seriously, that is some expensive beef. At least I can feel good about the hippy-ness of its life though and know that the cow did not eat other cows for dinner.

As I was prepping the steaks, I decided I wanted them to be kind of fancy, so I grabbed a bunch of shallots, garlic and mushrooms to caramelize for a topping. Ohhhhhh, the smell was intoxicating! I wanted to spoon the mushroom mix straight from the pan to my mouth. Instead, I waited until the husband got home and topped my steak, as well as my potato with the goodness.

Make this...soon. You won't be sorry. Well, unless you are trying to stick to a diet.


Mushroom-topped Steak with Baked Potatos
Source: me
Printable Recipe


Ingredients
2 small steaks (whatever cut you like.)
2 baking potatos
8 ounces crimini mushrooms
4 large garlic cloves
5 shallots
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
salt
pepper
chili powder (optional)
baked potato toppings (we had butter, shredded cheese, bacon bits, and sour cream)

Directions

Prepare your charcoal grill with coals on only one side of the grill.

Salt and pepper the steaks. Add a dash of chili powder as well, if you like a bit of heat.

Heat the oil and butter in a large pan over medium heat.

Roughly chop the mushrooms, shallots and garlic. Add them to the butter and oil, and cook on medium-low for 20 minutes, until caramelized.

Scrub the potatos clean and pierce with a fork in several places. Cook in the microwave for 10 minutes.

Once the grill is hot, cook the steaks over indirect heat (the side without the charcoal). Cook for 6-10 minutes (depending on how done you like your steaks), and then move to direct heat for one minute to get the nice char on the outside.

Let the steaks sit for 5-10 minutes to rest and reabsorb the juices.

While the steaks are resting, place the potatos over the hot coals for 2-3 minutes to char the skin a bit.

Plate the steaks, spoon the mushroom mixture on the top, and serve with the baked potatos.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin