Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Roasted Veggie Pasta with Arugula


I'm sure you read about my mean decision to deprive the husband of his requested salmon dinner, only to recant after a chiding from some co-workers. Well, I still wasn't feeling like eating any salmon, so I threw together this pasta dish for myself, and popped his salmon fillet in the oven while the water boiled. There, now everyone is happy. :)

But salmon is on the menu again this week. *sigh* At least I convinced him to try salmon pesto pasta...I'll let you know how that goes.

Roasted Veggie Pasta with Arugula
Source: Martha Stewart Every Day Food (The Light Issue)

Printable Recipe


Ingredients
2 pints grape tomatoes (I only had about 3/4 of a pint on hand...I wish I'd had more tomatoes!)
6 large garlic cloves, unpeeled
3 shallots, cut into eighths
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (I used a few heavy shakes of dried)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
8 ounces rigatoni pasta (I used whole wheat penne)
1/2 cup pitted olives, coarsely chopped (I omitted these)
3 cups baby arugula or spinach (I used an arugula mix that also included radicchio and frizzze)

Directions
Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.

Place tomatoes, garlic, shallots, and thyme on a rimmed baking sheet (I lined mine with parchment to save on clean up). Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper.

Roast about 20-25 minutes, or until garlic is soft and tomatoes are bursting.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook the pasta until al dente (I cooked my penne about 11 minutes). Reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water and drain the rest. Return pasta to the pot, with the 1/4 cup reserved water.

Peel the roasted garlic and smash with the side of a knife. Add garlic, tomatoes, shallots, thyme and olives to the pasta and cook over medium-high for about 3 minutes.

Let cool slightly and mix with the arugula. Serve and enjoy, glad to not be eating salmon!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin