Saturday, October 3, 2009

Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream


My husband is the best at gift giving. Ever since we met he has always put a ton of thought and care into purchasing me gifts. A few months into dating he surprised me with a pair of pink Converse just because he knew I liked them. Christmas and birthdays are no different; I always get the best gifts. Not that presents are what makes a relationship, but it is nice to be married to someone who knows exactly what I want.

This year my birthday was no exception. I talked about buying the ice cream attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer all summer, but was hesitant to spend that much money. So of course, I received the coveted attachment for a birthday gift last week!

I wanted to try a simple, yet seemingly fancy flavor for my first attempt. Luckily my KA attachment came with several recipes, including this one for pumpkin pie ice cream. A perfect match of fall flavors and the 90+ degree southern California weather!

Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream

Source: Adapted from Kitchen Aid
Printable Recipe

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups light cream (My store didn't have this, so I just used whole milk. You can also sub 1/2 and 1/2)
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (I used 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg)
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream (Again, my store didn't have this, so I used heavy whipping cream)
  • 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin puree
  • 2 teaspoons brown sugar (my addition)

Directions
(Make sure to freeze your freezer bowl at least 15 hours in advance)

Scald the light cream in a heavy saucepan. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, white sugar, and vanilla.

Gradually whisk the cream into the yolk mixture. Add in the spice.

Return the entire mixture to the saucepan and stir over medium-low heat until the mixture thickens; about 10 minutes. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat.

Whisk in the heavy cream, pumpkin, and brown sugar.

Cover and refrigerate until well chilled (over night is best).

Assemble the freezer bowl attachment and turn the mixer on to ONE. Pour the chilled ice cream batter into the bowl and continue to stir on ONE for 15-20 minutes, or until it is the desired consistency.

Serve immediately, sprinkled with nutmeg, or freeze.

Makes about 8 one cup servings.

1 comment:

Molly Jean said...

How sweet of him! It's nice to know he's so thoughtful :)

And this sounds like a tasty idea for hot weather (or cool too!!). Mmmm!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin