Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Avocado Ice Cream


This is the first in an occasional series of "unique" ice cream flavors. I've been browsing the web recently and found a plethora of exotic and extraordinary ice cream flavors, so I've decided to create a series of non-traditional ice cream posts. I'm sure the husband is wondering why I can't be normal and just make a batch of chocolate ice cream.

My mom once made avocado pie when I was in high school, and while it sounded funky and the bright green flavor turned my friends off, I couldn't get enough and looked forward to snacking on a slice after school. Those memories came flooding back to me as I prepared, and sampled, this ice cream. It also reminded me of Mitchell's ice cream in San Francisco; they serve up all sorts of unique flavors, including avocado.

Avocado Ice Cream
Source: Adapted from Alton Brown of the Food Network

Printable Recipe

Ingredients
Flesh of 3 small to medium avocados, peels and pits discarded
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 cups whole milk (I used low-fat)
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream (I used heavy whipping cream)

Directions
Add the avocado, lemon juice, milk and sugar to a blender and puree until smooth.

Pour the mixture into a medium bowl, add the heavy cream and whisk until combined.

Chill in the refrigerator, 4 to 6 hours.

Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's directions. Keep an eye on this as it freezes; it will set up quickly.

Transfer to a freezer container (I use Gladware) and freeze. Or serve immediately if you want avocado soft serve.

5 comments:

Courtney said...

Looks interesting! I love avocados - and I was just telling my husband the other day that I wanted to make ice cream...this might be it!

Jenn said...

Hmm interesting! More and more I think I need to get myself an ice cream maker, I would love to experiment with such unique flavors like avocado mmmm!

Janet said...

If you make it, come back and let me know what you think! :)

Anonymous said...

If I had an ice cream maker, I would totally make this.

Janet said...

Branny, I thought of your avocado frosting when I was making this. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin