Monday, March 29, 2010

Crispy Coconut Tofu Nuggets


The husband and I enjoy eating tofu, both as an addition to a dish, as well as a main entree. I've only recently felt confident in my tofu cooking abilities, and have finally discovered the secret to making it crispy and flavorful, without deep frying it. I learned this secret from Cara's Cravings (press out the water and bake at a high temperature) and her blog has become my go-to source for tofu recipes.

So when I saw this one for coconut tofu I knew I wanted to try it; the only hurdle was the husband-he is not a huge fan of coconut. But finally I decided just to make it and let him deal, which turned out to be a great idea--he loved it and told me I should definitely make it again. Yay for tofu!

We dipped out nuggets (think chicken nugget, but tofu and not a fried breading) in pineapple teriyaki sauce, which was a perfect pairing; I think plum sauce would work well, too. Next time I plan to marinate the tofu in coconut milk to add some extra flavor. I'll let you know how that goes.

Crispy Coconut Tofu Nuggets

Source: Cara's Cravings
Printable Recipe


Ingredients
1 block firm tofu (I used a 1 lb. package)
2 egg whites
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup shredded coconut
zest of one lime
salt and pepper

Directions

Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.

Wrap the tofu in paper towels and place it on a plate. Set several heavy cans or books on top of the covered tofu to squeeze out the water. Let sit for 20-30 minutes.

Set a cooling rack on top of a baking sheet, and spray with nonstick cooking spray.

Pour the egg whites into a shallow dish. On a separate plate, mix together the panko, coconut, and lime zest.

Slice the tofu diagonally into two large triangles, then slice again to create two smaller triangles.
Season the tofu wedges with salt and pepper. Dip each one into the egg, then dredge in the panko mixture and set on the cooling rack.

Bake for about 25-30 minutes, turning halfway through, until lightly browned and crispy on both sides.

1 comment:

Cara said...

Glad you liked it! I think the dipping sauce sounds great too.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin