Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Thai Red Curry Chicken



After a week of no cooking and dinners of pizza, sushi, In-N-Out, and other junk, I finally returned to the kitchen and cooked the husband and I a real dinner. After looking at some of my favorite blogs, and a link to recipes using coconut milk, I eventually decided to make a simplified version of Thai chicken, using red curry paste. Unfortunately, when I went to my local grocery store they didn't have any curry paste, but they did have a bottle of pre-made red curry sauce; I quickly tossed it into the cart along with some jasmine rice and headed home.

I sauteed my chicken thighs in coconut milk to help layer the flavors since I used a pre-made sauce. The chicken browned up a bit as the milk thickened and evaporated a little, which I enjoyed. I added a few diced green onions on top for a little color and extra flavor to the meal, but you can leave them out if you like.

I was worried about the husband's reaction to this dish; he doesn't love Thai food the way I do and has had some dishes in the past that remind him of the Pakistani food he ate growing up-in a bad way. But I was pleasantly surprised when he said I should definitely make this again and that it tasted like "real" Thai food.


Thai Red Curry Chicken
Source: Inspired by The Rookie Chef
Printable Recipe

Ingredients

4 small boneless chicken thighs
4-6 cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 can coconut milk
Thai red curry sauce (or red curry paste mixed into coconut milk) to taste
1 tablespoon oil
salt and pepper
cooked jasmine rice
2 green onions, diced (green tops only)

Directions

Bring the coconut milk to a simmer in a saucepan and add the chicken thighs. Sautee until chicken is cooked through. Let sit for 5 minutes to reabsorb the juices. Cut the chicken into bite sized chunks and set aside.

Heat a the oil in a large saucepan. Once it is hot, add the sliced mushrooms and sautee until tender. Add the chicken chunks and curry sauce (I used about 2-3 tablespoons), stir to combine. Cook until the sauce is heated through.

Serve the chicken and mushrooms over jasmine rice and top with diced green onions.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin