Monday, May 24, 2010

Eat Your Veggies



The husband and I are on a kind of health kick right now and have been working out a few times a week together. I've even started running a couple times a week, 3 miles at a time. This is a pretty big accomplishment for me-I've always hated running and would walk as soon as my legs began to hurt. Now that first mile is so easy it feels like I am floating down the track, and even though I am exhausted by the end of my third mile, I feel amazing for running the whole way without stopping or walking.

So with this recent focus on living healthier, we're trying to eat healthier dinners as well and eat a serving of veggies with dinner every night. The husband and I both love grilled veggie kabobs, which makes it even easier to get more nutritious food into our diets. They are full of fiber, making them very filling, and low in calories/fat. The best part about vegetable kabobs is customizing them to what you like and what's available in your store. I used 3 different types of squash and 2 different peppers, but you could use mushrooms, shrimp, onion--whatever you like!

Grilled Kabobs
Source: A Cooking in Cucamonga Original
Printable Recipe


Ingredients

3-4 turkey & chicken basil sausage (I buy mine at Trader Joe's)
1 zucchini
1 yellow crook-neck squash
1 calabeza
1 bell pepper
1 poblano pepper

Directions
If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30-60 minutes so they don't burn up on the grill.

Prepare a charcoal grill with an even layer of charcoal on the bottom of the grill.

Cut all of the vegetables and sausages up into bite sized chunks, of even thickness. Thread them onto the skewers, alternating the different vegetables and sausage.

Lay the skewers on the grill in a single layer and grill for 2-3 minutes, rotating the skewers.

Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper if desired and enjoy.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin