Monday, April 13, 2009

Herbs de Provence Chicken



I buy a lot of chicken. Mainly because Costo sells these huge packs of Foster Farms chicken that are already wrapped in packs of 2 breasts. There is no need for me to unwrap the chicken, re-wrap it in plastic wrap, wrap that in foil, and then label and date it with a Sharpie. Nope, I just pick up these packs of chicken, seperate the two packs from each other, and then throw them in my freezer. I am incredibly lazy, so this is just perfect for me. It requires pretty much no effort on my part, and I still have easy to defrost, just the right amount for 2 people, packs of chicken. Seriously, check it out. Also, I do not buy red meat or pork (except for baby back ribs....mmmmm), so we are stuck with poultry.

Anyway, as a result, we tend to have a lot of chicken in our freezer, so I am always on the lookout for new chicken recipes. While scanning The Nest for recipes today (another thing you should really check out), I came across a recipe for chicken made with herbs de provence. It looked really yummy and easy to prepare, so I figured today would be a god day to try it out.

The chicken came out really moist and juicy and had a nice crisp to the crust. My husband and I both really enjoyed this recipe and I plan to make it again. It was super easy to prepare, which is always a plus since I commute 30 miles each way to work.

Thanks Rookie Chef!

Herbs de Provence Chicken
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (exactly what comes in my Costco pack!)
  • 1 cup of all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 1 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 2 teaspoons herbes de provence (go buy them if you don't already have them in your spice rack. They smell and taste amazing!!) ** Next time I think I might up it to 3 or 4 teaspoons. Their flavor was too faint in the final product for me; I prefer strongly seasoned food.**

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray (I use Smart Balance). Since I was only cooking two chicken breasts, I used a glass pie dish to cook them in. I needed my 9 x 13" pan for the asparagus.


Line up three bowls for coating the chicken. In the first bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. I just mixed the ingredients together with a fork.

In the second bowl, beat the egg. Make sure you use a bowl big enough to put the chicken breast in!

In the third bowl, mix the panko crumbs with the herbs de provence.


First, dip one chicken breast in the flour mixture. Turn to coat both sides. Then dip it in the egg, again coating both sides. Lastly, dip and coat both sides of the chicken in the panko and herb mix. Lay that chicken breast in your baking dish and repeat the process with the second chicken breast.

This is what the chicken should look like once you have coated the breasts.















Bake uncovered for 40 minutes (Turn chicken over half way through). Let sit a few minutes after you take out of the oven, so the chicken can reabsorb its juices.

4 comments:

Ellie said...

Yum! I can practically smell the herbs from here . . .

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Herb de provence is a wonderful mixture to use especially with chicken!

Janet said...

It is seriously so good! It smells wonderful and just may be my new favorite seasoning.

Molly Jean said...

Looks great! I think you could have totally added more spices... but I was scared since I had never used it before. Haha :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin