Monday, April 27, 2009

Soyaki Chicken

I went to a healthy cooking techniques class at William Sonoma this weekend, and while I enjoyed myself, I didn't really learn anything new. Also, I was a little irritated, I guess you can say, that the main flavoring ingredient was one of their own simmering sauces. I wanted to learn how to make my own flavorful and healthful sauce. But, really, what can you say? It was a free class put on by William Sonoma, so of course they are going to push their own product line.

The chef made grilled chicken, which was later simmered in their Japanese 20 minute simmering sauce. It was accompanied by wild brown rice, grilled bell peppers, and grilled zucchini. It was good food (except for the too hard rice...ouch!...and the over-grilled zucchini), but nothing too special and nothing that I couldn't recreate, but better.

So as I was driving home from work tonight, pondering what to do with the chicken defrosting in my fridge, it hit me...recreate that WS meal, but better. My final result: Soyaki chicken, brown rice with scallions, and roasted red bell pepper and yellow squash. The verdict? Incredibly simple, very easy, and the most important part, flavorful and tasty. This will be going in the rotation. :)
Soyaki Chicken with Oven Roasted Veggies
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • Trader Joe's Soyaki
  • Assorted veggies (I used yellow squash and red bell peppers.)
  • Pepper
  • 1-2 tablespoons Olive Oil

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Defrost chicken and spray small baking dish with non-stick spray. I always use my small glass pie pan (9") when I am only cooking 2 chicken breasts. It's much smaller than my baking dishes, which means less cleanup.

Place the chicken breasts in the baking dish and pour Soyaki over them. I poured enough to generously coat them, but not completely cover the breasts.

Slice your veggies, toss with olive oil and salt, and place on a cookie sheet in one layer.

Put both the chicken and the roasted veggies in the oven and set your timer for 30 minutes. Check the veggies around 20 minutes to make sure they don't burnt (I roasted mine for 25 minutes).

Plate chicken with roasted veggies and spoon Soyaki over chicken breasts. I served with brown rice topped with sliced scallions.

4 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I love Soyaki! This looks wonderful!

nicole said...

looks great, I love that you showed an entire meal. Some times its so hard to think of pairings.

Janet said...

Thanks! I agree about thinking of sides. I like when blogs show what they served with the main course. :)

Janet said...

Thanks! I agree about thinking of sides. I like when blogs show what they served with the main course. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin