Monday, April 20, 2009

One year later

Yesterday was my husband and I's first wedding anniversary. I can't believe how fast the year has gone... it feels like our wedding was yesterday. I kept thinking about little details throughout the day, remembering peeking around my hotel room door and seeing my soon-to-be husband walking down the hallway (and me quickly jumping back into the room!), getting ready with all of my best friends who had flown from hundreds of miles to be there with me, taking tons of photos throughout the day, and just being so excited after the ceremony was over and we were Married!!

Now a year later, not only are we married, but we've bought a home together and are building tons of new memories everyday. It's been a great year of married life and I can't wait to celebrate many more with my husband!

We decided to celebrate our anniversary in a low-key, but fun fashion. We packed up our cooler with hot dogs and sodas and set out to a local state park, where we grilled our lunch in the shade of the trees. The weather was hot and tons of families were out with same idea: enjoy the weather in the great outdoors with the people you love. After a lunch of 3 hots dogs each and a bag of chips, we spent some time reading in the shade, before walking over to the large lake and renting a paddle boat. That was a lot of fun, but more work than I anticipated! We paddled around for an hour, enjoyed the breeze coming off the water, and then decided to head home.

Here' s where the cooking part of my blog comes in. :) We purchased 4 lobster tails at Costco the day before for about $50 and grilled them up for a special anniversary dinner. SOOOOOOO good!! I didn't take any photos (sorry!) as they smelled SO good I didn't want to take the time to plate them and make sure they looked nice. We just wanted to dig in!

Next time you find lobster tails on sale, I highly recommend you try out this recipe. It is so flavorful, fragrant, and easy. In fact, I will be making these again in just a few weeks for my husband's birthday (and I will add photos! Check back in mid-May).


Grilled Lobster Tails
  • 4 lobster tails (they were about 3 pounds total.)
  • White wine
  • Olive oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Green onions, sliced
  • Parsley, coarsly chopped
  • Garlic, sliced or chopped
  • Butter (not melted)

Heat your charcoal grill (if you have a gas grill, put it out for trash and go buy a charcoal grill. The flavor is SO much better! Or just turn the gas grill onto high.) You want your coals to be nice and hot for the lobster.

Place one lobster tail on aluminum foil and cut the top of its shell in half, right down the middle, using scissors. (Cutting through their shells is kind of difficult, but stick with it! I found it was easiest to slide the bottom scissor blade under the shell, then push the top blade down with my palm, to crack through the shell.)

Using a knife, cut into the lobster meat, making a slit 3/4 of the way through the meat, all the way down the tail. Rub salt and pepper into the meat. Rub the garlic into the meat. I also tucked some sliced garlic into the space between the top of the shell and the meat. Sprinkle the green onions and parsley into the cut portion of the meat. Pour some olive oil down the length of the tail, into the meat. Push tabs of butter into the sliced section of the tail. Pour white wine across the entire tail (be generous here!).

Wrap the foil around the lobster, making sure the entire tail is covered. I double wrapped mine to prevent the liquids from spilling out.

Repeat with the remaining lobster tails.

Place the foil-wrapped tails on the grill over high heat and cook for about 8 minutes, depending on their size. I wound up cooking mine for about 10 minutes. Take one packet off the grill and carefully open the foil using tongs (don't let all the juice slop out!!). Check that the meat has turned an opaque white. If it is still translucent, cook for about 2 more minutes.

Once they are done, remove the packets from the grill using tongs or a pot holder and carefully unwrap. Plate each lobster tail and pour any juices in the foil packet over the top of the lobster. Serve with additional butter pats and crusty bread.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Congratulations and what a great meal to celebrate with!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin